About the Program
The Pre-Ministerial Summer Internship Program, coordinated through the Office of the Chaplain, is designed to give undergraduates who are discerning a call to Christian ministry an opportunity to practice ministry in one of the many ministerial settings in the Winston-Salem area.
- Are open to Wake undergraduates who have not yet completed their degree requirements.
- Are designed for students who are discerning a call to Christian ministry and want to explore a church/parish, retreat ministry, faith-based nonprofit setting.
- Require an eight week commitment from May 25-July 26, including a pilgrimage to DC ministries and 40-hour work week. One day a week is reserved for mentoring and reflection with WFU chaplains and the other interns.
- Orientation, experience, vocational formation, and mentoring.
- $3,000 stipend (before taxes).
- Weekly theological and vocational reflection with ministry and community leaders, Wake Forest University
chaplains, and other interns.
- Pilgrimage to Washington DC to explore ministries and seminaries.
- On-site mentoring with site supervisor.
Discerning a site for your pre-ministerial summer internship will be based on your call to the ministry, your gifts and talents, and the needs of the placement site. While the program facilitators can help you find a site, you should consider a church/parish, retreat ministry, faith-based nonprofit position that you are already passionate about or would like to explore more. Let your hungering faith meet the needs of your hungering community.
How to apply
- Complete application: Pre-Ministerial Application 2013
- 3 recommendations (including one from your pastor, priest, or ministry leader)
- 2-3 pages, double-spaced essay describing where you are in discerning your call to ministry, and your interest in the pre-ministerial internship program.
Time Line for Summer Internships
February 8, 2013 Application deadline
February 13-15, 2013 Interviews
February 22, 2013 Notify all candidates
March 1, 2013 Deadline to accept or decline offer
March 14, 2013 Training Session
April 2013 Dinner with Supervisors and Chaplains
May 25-29, 2013 Washington, DC Ministries
May 30-July 26, 2013 Internship Site
August 9, 2013 Evaluations Due
February 8, 2013 by 5pm
Send application materials to:
Office of the Chaplain
Wake Forest University
Suite 22 Reynolda Hall
P. O. Box 7204
Winston-Salem, NC 27109
Rev. Becky Hartzog
Director of Baptist Life